Frequently Asked Questions

What inspections are required for a deck?
A post hole inspection is required, holes must be a minimum of 42 deep.

What inspections are required for a fence?
A post hole inspection is required.

What inspections are required for a swimming pool?
A stakeout, electrical and safety barrier/final inspection is required.

Do I need a permit to install an in ground swimming pool?
Yes, a permit is required. Contact the building department at 815-467-6644.

I am installing an inflatable temporary swimming pool, do I need a permit?
No, a permit is not required for above ground temporary pools that are up to 24 inches in height. However, they do require a fence or other barrier be installed of at least 48 inches in height to prevent children from entering the pool unsupervised.

What inspections are required for a lawn sprinkler?
There should be an inspection for the initial install and a final inspection by a plumbing inspector. An annual inspection of the connection to the public water supply and RPZ test report is required as well.

What flat work requires a permit?
Driveways, aprons and sidewalks require permits and inspections.

Do I need a permit for a patio?
It depends. A poured concrete patio requires permitting. Paver stone patios do not.

Do I need a permit for a shed?
Yes, a permit is required for a shed. The permit fee is $50 for anything $10,000 and under.

Miscellaneous permits start at $50 for first $10,000 of construction and $5 per thousand after. All pools are $100.

Am I allowed to run a business out of my home?
Yes, home occupations are considered an accessory use in residential zoning districts with specific restrictions that include the size of the business, number of employees, signage and type of business. (See section 156.029 of Municipal Code).

How many animals can I have on my property?
This depends on your zoning classification. Residential zoning districts allow a maximum of 4 household pets. A-2 Rural Residence District allows a maximum of 4 barn animals per five acres and a maximum of 4 household pets.

What is the zoning classification of a property in Channahon?
The zoning classification of your property can be found using the Official Channahon Zoning map on the Village website under Good Government Maps.

I live on a corner lot, can I plant something at the corner of my lot?
To ensure the safety of drivers in the Village by creating clear sign lines, no street trees or shrubs shall be planted at an intersection corner within a triangle having two 50-foot sides as measured perpendicular to the curb line.

What is the process for removing a dead or disease tree in the parkway?
The Village will remove the tree if found to be dead or diseased, but will not replace it or replant it.

Where can I get a copy of the Village’s Zoning Districts?
A copy of the Village Zoning Districts is within the Village Code of Ordinances and can be found on the Village website by following the link under “Good Government”.

Are there any watering restrictions in summer?
Village Ordinance allows odd-number residences to water on odd-numbered days and even-numbered residences on even-numbered days year-round. Newly installed sod may be watered daily for the first seven (7) days for up to six (6) hours per day. After seven (7) days, the normal watering restrictions per Village Ordinance will apply. This excludes sod installed in July and August (odd-even restrictions will apply).

Can I get a deduct meter for my lawn sprinkling system?
No, Village Ordinance does not allow a reduction of the sewer bill for water used for irrigation.

When do you perform hydrant flushing and what precautions should I take?
Hydrant flushing is usually performed in fall of each year. Signs are placed at entrances to subdivisions before flushing. Customers may want to delay laundering clothing until the lines are clear.

What is the hardness of my water if I am on Public Water Supply?
Channahon West (customers west of I-55) is 18-20 grains per gallon. Channahon East (customers east of I-55) is 15 grains per gallon.

I have a question about my septic system, who should I contact?
Your County Health Department can answer most questions. They can also provide a layout of your system if they have it on file. Will County, 727-8490 or Grundy County 941-3113.

What does the Village do for mosquito control? Why doesn’t the Village spray for mosquitoes?
The Village of Channahon distributes larvicide pellets into mosquito-prone catch basins. Due to the large amounts of water bodies in the Channahon area, spraying does not prove to be an effective control.

My tree in the parkway is dead. Does the Village replace it?
Due to the Emerald Ash Borer infestation. The Village is offering a 50/50 Parkway Tree Replacement Program. Please call 815-467-6644 if you would like to be part of the program.

Who can answer questions about tree and shrub diseases or insect infestations?
The Master Gardeners at the University of Illinois Extension in Joliet can answer your questions. 815-727-9296

Will the Village pick up tree branches after a storm?
The Village does not perform scheduled pick ups, but will attempt to pick up branches after storms with widespread tree damage. Branches should be stacked neatly near the curb or edge of pavement.

Who do I notify if a street light is out?
The Village maintains the aluminum street light poles, while ComEd maintains the concrete and wood poles. If your street light goes out, contact the Public Works Department at 815-467-6644. ComEd can be contacted at 1-800-EDISON1.

What is the Village’s procedure for snow plowing?
All streets are plowed with two opening passes down the center so that residents and emergency vehicles can get down the street. After the snowfall, a full clean-up will be done on all the main streets, secondary streets, dead ends and courts, in that order.
*There is no parking on streets with more than 2 inches of snow fall.

What do I do if a snow plow has hit my mailbox?
Call the Public Works Department at 815-467-0853 or 815-467-6644. Damaged mailboxes will be repaired and/or replaced. If the post is damaged, the Village will issue a $50.00 reimbursement and the homeowner is responsible for the re-installation. Temporary mailboxes are furnished if the mailbox is damaged beyond use.

Why does the water look milky when I fill up a clear glass from the sink?
When air enters the water, it will appear milky. Fill a glass with water let it sit. After a few minutes, the air will be gone. The air could be from the water main or a household water fixture aeration device.

When the ice in my drink melts, there is stuff on the bottom of my glass. Is there something wrong?
This is called precipitate. The mineral deposits in the water come out of the solution during freezing and are now on the bottom of the glass. The water is safe to drink.

What can I do about my broken sidewalk?
Call the Public Works Department at 815-467-6644 to report the problem. Sidewalks that present a trip hazard will be programmed for replacement.

What can I do if my sump pump runs all the time?
Set the float to be at least as high as the perimeter tile (inlet to sump). Disconnect all downspouts that run directly into the ground and extend them above ground a minimum of 6-feet away from the foundation. Consider a backup pump and power supply.

What is considered an abandoned vehicle?
Vehicles must be registered and up to date with the State of Illinois, they must be operable. Any further questions speak with Officer Edward Bischoff.

What are the curfew hours?
Ages 15 & under: 10:00 pm all week.
Ages 16 & 17: 11:00 pm Sunday-Thursday; 12:00 am Friday-Saturday

What are the child passenger safety seat requirements?
BUCKLE EVERYONE! Children Age 12 and under in Back!
Children under the age of 8 years, shall be protected in an appropriate child restraint system.

Infants birth to at least 1 year and 20-22 lbs should be in an infant seat only or rear facing convertible. Seat position: rear-facing only.
Toddler/pre-school over 20 lbs and over 1 year, convertible, forward-facing. Seat position: forward-facing.
Young children over 40 lbs up to about 80 lbs or more, belt positioning booster seat. Seat position: forward-facing.
Children 8 years of age or older but under age 16 should be in restraint system or seat belts.
Children 8 years of age or older but under age of 18, seat belts.

What do I do if I have a wild animal problem?
The Village of Channahon is not licensed to handle wild animals. We suggest you to call T&C Trapping 815-467-4039. They are state licensed to handle such animals.

What should I do if I found or lost a pet?
If lost, call Channahon Police Department at 815-467-2123 during business hours, 815-467-2112 after business hours. We will take your information to try to reunite owner with pet.

Solicitor questions?
All solicitors must have a permit. The permit is taken out at the police department. Questions regarding MAP (officer union) soliciting for funds should go to Detective Andy McClellan.

Who do I call for odor complaints?
Please call Dan McDonald, the Channahon Odor Alert Network Coordinator at 815-467-2112. The Network will investigate all odor complaints and complainants will receive a prompt response.

I am going on vacation, will the police check on my house?
Yes, stop by the police station during the normal business hours, fill out a house check form, which can also be downloaded off the Channahon website under Good Government, Police, Vacation House Check Request Form.

My vehicle was ticketed (Snow). Why?
The Village of Channahon has an ordinance regarding parking in the street after 2 inches of snow has fallen. No vehicle shall be parked in the street after 2″ of snow has fallen. This is to allow the Village of Channahon snowplows to plow the streets. There are signs posted at the entrance of each subdivision.

When are the Village Board meetings?
The Village Board meetings are held the first and third Monday of every month, unless there is a holiday, it would fall on a Tuesday.

When are the Planning and Zoning Commission meetings held?
The Planning and Zoning Commission meetings are held on the second Monday of every month at 6:00 pm in the Village Hall Board Room.

Where are the meetings held?
The meetings are held at the Municipal Building, which is located at 24555 S. Navajo Drive, Channahon, IL.

What are the hours of operation?
The Municipal Building is open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday-Friday.

How can I contact someone at the Village?
The office number is 815-467-6644.

What is the fax number?
The fax number is 815-467-9774.

What is your mailing address?
Our address is 24555 S. Navajo Drive, Channahon, Illinois 60410.

Are the meetings open to the public?
Yes, the meetings are open to the public.

Who is on the Planning and Zoning Commission?
The Planning and Zoning Commission is made up of 7 members: Karen Ciarlette (Chairperson), Ricky Gray, Casey McCollom, Jim Proffit, John Sergeant, Jeff Simon, Dennis Sullivan. They are appointed by the Board of Trustees and meet every second Monday of the month at 6:00 pm in the Village Hall Board Room.

If you would like to be considered for appointment to the Commission, please contact the Village Hall.

Do I need to obtain a tag for my pet?
Yes, all pets must be registered with the Village. You must provide proof of their rabies shot. The Village asks that all cats and dogs be registered. If your pet is to get loose, the Village would be able to look up their information from their tag. If your pet is not registered and gets loose you will need to pay a fine if they are picked up by the police department.

What happens if I lose the tag for my pet?
The Village would issue another tag for your pet, but there is a replacement charge of $1.00.

When are the pet tags available?
The are available at all times, but a mass mailing goes out about the end of November and they are due by the end of January.

Is there a late fee involved if the tag is not obtained by the end of January?
Yes, there is a late fee involved if the pet tag is not obtained by the end of January. The fee is $7.00

My pet’s vaccination is not due until the spring time, can I still get the tag?
Yes, we just ask that the updated rabies information be brought later to keep the records current.

How do I obtain a business license/registration?
All businesses in town must have a business license/registration. The forms are available at the Village Hall. Once you submit the application, staff will review the form and then issue a business license to the owner of the business.

Do I need a business license if I am running a business out of my home?
Yes, any business being run out of the home, must be registered with the Village.

What is the fee or a business license?
Contact the Village Hall for current rates and information at 815-467-6644.

Do I need to register my vending machines? (Pop, gum ball machines, etc.)
Yes, vending machines must be licensed with the Village. Contact the Village Hall for current rates and information at 815-467-6644.

How can I obtain a Liquor License?
There is a form to fill out for a Liquor License, which will go into detail of all that is required. Currently, there are no Liquor Licenses available, so if you are interested you would need to petition for it.

What is the fee for a Liquor License?
The fee for a Liquor License is $1,000.00 for the year.

How long is the Liquor License good for?
The Liquor License fee is due at the end of each year and is good from January to December of the following year.

Is the Liquor License transferable?
No, the Liquor License is not transferable.

What is a one-Day Liquor License?
A One-Day Liquor License authorizes the sale or distribution of alcoholic liquors at the place specified in the application for picnics or other public outings for periods to not exceed one day.

What are the current water and sewer rates?
Please contact the Village Hall for current rates at (815) 467-6644.

What are the current refuse rates?
Please contact the Village Hall for current rates at (815) 467-6644.

Why is my water bill so high?
Did you water your lawn or fill your pool? Do you have a leaky toilet? Do you have a water softener that is regenerating more than normal?

Why didn’t they pick up my refuse or recycling?
Please contact the Village Hall to report your missed refuse and/or recycling at (815) 467-6644.

How much are lawn and waste stickers?
Stickers are $1.75 and can be purchased at the Village Hall, Casey’s General Store and the Private Bank.

When can we put yard waste out for pick up?
Yard waste pick up is April 1 through November 30.

How do we prepare yard waste for pick up?
All yard waste must be placed in kraft bags and require a prepaid sticker. Leaves will be collected from October 1 through November 30 at no charge and also must be placed in kraft bags.

There are 2 additional leaf collections that will take place on Saturday in the fall. Please check with the Village for the dates and set out requirements.

Will our waste hauler take brush and branches?
Yes, to ensure pick up please follow these guide lines. Brush and branches must be cut into 4 foot lengths, bundled with twine or string and each bundle should not exceed 50 lbs. They do not require a prepaid sticker. Whole trees, stumps and/or improperly prepared bundles will not be accepted.

How do we dispose of carpeting?
You may place up to 4 rolls, free of charge, at curbside along with your regular refuse. Carpeting and padding must be cut into 4 foot lengths and securely tied. Each roll must not exceed 50 lbs. Improperly prepared rolls will not be accepted.

How do I obtain or replace my existing refuse tote?
Contact the Village Hall to either replace a broken tote or to change the size of your current tote.

How do I dispose of a couch or any other large item?
You are allowed disposal of one large item a week at no charge. Large item examples are couch, chair, table, mattress, box spring, etc.

How do I dispose of an appliance?
You must call Waste Management for pick up options at (800) 796-9696.

What is the balance of my utility bill?
Please contact the Village Hall to obtain your balance.

I am moving how do I close my account?
If you have water/sewer you must contact the Utility Billing Department to schedule a final meter read, please allow forty-eight hours lead time. A reading will be taken the day of closing/moving or one day prior. The final bill is prepared immediately and available for payment at the Village Hall. If you have refuse service only, you still must notify us that you are moving. Final bills must be paid prior to issuing real estate transfer stamps.

Did you receive my utility bill payment?
Please contact the Village Hall to verify receipt of payment.

I have an unpaid balance on my utility bill and I paid last month’s bill one day late?
Payments received after the due date are not posted to your account until after the first of the month and will not reflect on your current bill. If you know the amount of the payment you made then deduct that amount from the total of your current bill and that is the correct amount owed. Remember a 10% penalty fee is assessed to all late payments.

I just turned 65 years old and would like my senior discount on my refuse, how do I receive it?
Please contact the Utility Billing Department to receive your discount.

What is the sales tax rate for Channahon?
Will County= 8%, Unincorporated Will County=7%, Grundy County=7.20%, Unincorporated Grundy County=6.250%.

How can I obtain the Village of Channahon’s Tax Exempt Number?
Email the AP Clerk with our company information and the project information at [email protected]

Are you hiring?
All job openings are posted on our website.

Do you have to be a resident to work for the Village?
No, residency is not required.

How can I get an employment application?
Applications are available at the Village Hall.

How do you dispose of your Christmas Trees?
Christmas trees will be picked up on the collection dates following Christmas. Details on dates and restrictions will be posted in News & Events at the appropriate time of the year.

Where can I find budget information about the Village?
The Village of Channahon website contains a page for this information. It can be found by clicking this link:

Is there a compactor and where is it located?
The Village of Channahon does not have a compactor but the Channahon Township has one located at 25461 S. Fryer Street. Hours are Saturdays 8:00 am-2:00 pm year round with additional hours April thru October on Wednesday from 3:00 pm-7:00 pm. For a list of items accepted please contact them at 815-467-2569. Please keep in mind Waste Management will accept one large item a week (such as chair, couch, mattress, etc.).

Where can you recycle electronics?
Channahon Township no longer accepts electronics, please contact Will County Land Use at 815-727-8834 for disposal.

Do you have an automatic utility billing program?
Yes, our program makes paying utility bills easy and convenient. All Village utility customers can be part of this program that eliminates having to write checks, mail in bill stubs, or worry about payments getting in on time. It allows utility payments to be made automatically by electronic transfer from a checking account directly to the Village by the due date. To enroll, complete the form that is provided and return it to the Village. For additional information, please contact the Village at 815-467-6644. Automatic Utility Billing Form