The Channahon State Park is the official trailhead for the Illinois & Michigan Canal State Trail. The Channahon Access became a state park in 1932, known as the Channahon State Parkway. The canal officially closed in 1933 with the opening of the Illinois Waterway. The canal and its environs had been extremely neglected and were in desperate need of clean up and repairs. The Civilian Conservation Corps who were employed by the Department of the Interior were assigned clean-up and repair duty along the canal. The C.C.C. restored Locks 6 & 7 in Channahon along with the locktender’s house at Lock 6. In the park, they built a large shelter of handhewn beams and flagstone flooring that stands today as a testimony of the young men who constructed it.
An Interpreter is on site four days a week to provide information and answer questions. Public programs and tours are available as well as organized group and school group programs. For more information about Interpretive programs contact the Interpretive office at (815) 467-4271.
Today, Channahon State Park is under the management of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and provides park visitors a look back at a historic waterway that transformed a state. Locks 6 & 7 and the original locktenders house at Lock 6 located at the Channahon State Park enable visitors to daydream of a time when one of the loudest noises heard came from a blacksmith pounding out a new set of horse shoes.