There is much discussion, and we are being asked by numerous people whether or not the Village is cancelling Halloween in Channahon. We are not.
This is not a political statement. This is not a protest. This is not a stand against "loss of freedoms." Rather, it is a rational choice. We believe that trick-or-treating can be accomplished safely. Treats are already individually wrapped and sealed. And the outdoors allows for social distancing. Human beings are social animals and traditions and rituals are important for psychological health and the overall well-being of the community.
Here’s what we ask:
- We ask that you consider wearing a mask (not the Halloween kind) if interacting closely with others.
- Do not leave bowls of candy on your porch that multiple people will touch (or one person who will take the whole thing 😜).
- If you are uncomfortable with handing out candy, please do not turn on your porch light. Additionally, there is a printable page available here (PDF) or available for pick up at Village Hall (24555 S. Navajo Drive) to post on your door, letting trick-or-treaters know you are not participating.
- If you are uncomfortable with your children trick-or-treating, it is always your choice as a parent not to send them.
- We encourage everyone to practice social distancing to the extent possible...and IT IS possible when you’re walking around outdoors.
- Enjoy Halloween. Be safe. We can participate in trick-or-treating while still taking necessary precautions and respecting the concerns and decisions of others who may not be comfortable participating.